Home » General » Ten Reasons to Cultivate Relationships with Other Writers
- Other writers understand when you make a mad dash for paper and pen in the middle of a day out.
- Other writers understand when you mourn a recently deceased character.
- Other writers understand that having voices in your head is normal and does not indicate mental illness.
- Other writers make great beta readers (and sometimes primary).
- Other writers are not bothered when you mentally check out during a conversation to “listen” to a story idea.
- Other writers know the process and the work, which helps when your family or spouse doesn’t “get it.”
- Other writers are a great source for writing prompts, scene ideas, and plots (we all generate more than we can use ourselves).
- Other writers celebrate with you when a character goes off script and the story gets interesting.
- Other writers don’t think you’re crazy when you start a sentence with “I can’t believe my MC is arguing with me over…”
- Other writers confirm and support and validate your identity as a writer.